What is Tools box talk in safety - the ultimate Guide
Tools Box Talk – Ultimate Guide
Tools Box Talk / Tools box meeting is an informal training to employees, which ensures that the employees are familiar with the safety procedures and safe behavior to be adopted in order to complete the job safely.
When the Tools box talk should be conducted??
When the tools box talk should be conducted, it’s critical to say in a single work like daily / weekly / monthly.
The right answer for your question is,
- Its depends on the nature of job in your company
- Its depends on the job, which the employee is engaged
- Its depends on the magnitude of risk and its variations
In construction the conditions & nature of work will change often also the magnitude of risk, where the tools box talk needs to be conducted more frequently such as Daily before commencing the work.
For the Manufacturing Industry, in which the jobs are routine, it can be planned weekly or based on convenience but remember for non-routine activities such as maintenance / repair it should be conducted before commencing the Job.
History behind the Tools Box talk:
Often my colleagues will ask, why they named as “tools box talk” even I confused in the initial stages, why they named like as,
Than from my senior, who is expert in safety, I received the answer, which I explained below,
The Informal meeting, which is conducted in a routine manner, before the employees commencing the task, in a place where the employees assemble to collect their tools.
The Relationship between Tools box talk & psychology
The Human beings are prone to error and violations and we are not machine’s, which can perform the job as it programmed,
In busy schedules, we are rushed up with thousands of problems, with family, financial constraints, personal goals, conflicts etc.
We cannot program the employees with safety rules, but we can change their attitude towards safety, but that too cannot be done in a single day.
The Tools box talk ensures, once the workers entered inside the company, and before they commencing their job, they are remembered with the lifesaving rules, which they needs to follow to complete the job safely and to return safely to home.
What the tools box talk will cover:
The Tools box talk will cover the details of inherent hazards with the job allocated, and the safety precautions which the employee needs to follow to complete the job safely.
- · The Safest way to perform the Job
- The hazards associated with the work location, equipment, task and materials
- The emergency procedures which they need to follow in case of emergency
- The Conditions needs to be reported
Who will conduct the Toolbox talk?
The Tools box talk should be conducted by the person, who is familiar with the
- The Nature of job
- The Inherent hazards
- The safety precautions to be followed
- The person, who knows “how to communicate the workers effectively”
Normally the tools box talk will be conducted by the supervisor or immediate in charge for the work.
Why I should conduct toolbox talk?
The Tools box talk should be conducted for following benefits,
- The Tools box talk should be conducted to remind the workers with essential lifesaving rules before commencing their jobs
- The tools box talks increase your worker’s attitude towards health and safety
- Tools box talk helps to reduce your worker’s overconfidence, towards taking risk
- Tools box talk reduces your workplace accidents rate ultimately
- You can control your unwanted business losses through 5 minutes’ safety talk.
Use this below links to reach our more safety secrets
The ultimate Guide to conduct effective tools box talk...
The 5 Mistakes, which can ruin your tools box, talk...
What the killer tools box talkers will do???